Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Openings #1

This piece relates to an episode in my life that was dark and depressing.
I was driving to work on a very grey day with heavy cloud cover,
feeling really glum and despondent, but suddenly noticed a small break in the clouds above me.
I remembered that when I fly, the sun is always shining above the clouds, and realised my dark and depressing episode could also have sunshine if I let it in. It was a huge revelation, AND it allowed me to finally deal with the problems that were dragging me down.
There are layers of black netting which were cut away to show the blue hand dyed fabric, with different shades of grey wool rovings sandwiched in between the layers to create the dark sky. Lots of hand stitching emphasize the cloud formations. Shirley
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Leah said...

This is so gorgeous, Shirley!! I love the feeling it evokes in me and I'm totally loving all the hand stitching. Great work!